Weight Loss Diet 5 Minute Guide – We will enjoy eating lots of fresh fish, raw and lightly steamed vegetables and colorful fruits and lean cuts of turkey, chicken and grass-fed beef. We will use health fresh olive oil and small amounts of canola or coconut oils. We will enjoy many beans, peas, seeds, nuts and legumes. We will drink several glasses of green tea daily and sometimes brown tea. We will target diet supplements that are proven to increase our anti-inflammatory prostaglandins, increase anti-oxidants, improve our blood glucose control and reduce insulin resistance, leading to weight loss and improved health. We will avoid saturated fats in animal meats and poly-unsaturated vegetable oils. We will cut out fructose and sweet, sugary foods, white rice, cereal grains and pasta. And, we will minimize roots and starchy vegetables like potatoes, carrots and beets.
FIRST THINGS FIRST
We begin by listing the 10 Foods to Avoid. That may seem negative, but it is absolutely necessary. We must remove the bad foods from our diet, or we cannot reduce inflammation, reduce insulin resistance and lose weight. If we continue to eat the bad foods and merely add some of the good foods to our diet, we can actually make ourself sicker.
THE ACTION PLAN
So, first we stop eating the bad stuff that’s been making us inflamed and insulin resistant. Then we eat the good stuff that will make us better. And, we add powerful vitamins and supplements to give our bodies what they need to use the foods we are eating, and to help us correct our body chemistry.
DOING THINGS THE EASY WAY
Actually, we begin the whole program ALL AT ONCE, not bit by bit. Why? Because it’s the easy way, and the only way that actually works. If we try to do things a little at a time, our body chemistry does not change. It fights us. The reason most people do not change their health and lose weight is that they do not give themselves a chance. If you start right now, in only 10 to 12 hours, your system can be markedly different. You can end hunger pains, and you could stop craving sweets and fats. In only 3 or 4 days, you can notice big changes in your mood, your sleep patterns, and in the look and feel of your skin. In two weeks or so, you could notice obvious changes in your health. You can lose several pounds of real fat, and have enormous energy. You can look and feel good very soon, and you do not need to have cravings controlling your life and ruining your health. Sound good? It is. Your life can change quickly, but you have to give it a chance.
There is only a short list of things you have to do and not do, and it will be much easier than you ever dreamed possible. Now let’s take a look at my easy-to-understand 5 Minute Guide to Weight Loss and Health:
The 10 Foods to Avoid
- Avoid Fatty Meats — All choice or prime cuts of meat, including most cuts of beef, veal pork, lamb, duck, goose, sausages, hamburger, hot-dogs, etc.
- Avoid Most Cooking & Salad Oils — Butter, all vegetable shortening, all margarines, all corn oils, safflower, peanut, canola, and other vegetable cooking and salad oils, except for extra virgin olive oils.
- Avoid All Grain-Fed Meat or Farm Raised Fish — Any grain-fed farm animals, including most beef, pork, lamb, duck, goose, farm-raised salmon, tilapia, trout, catfish, perch, etc. Wild fish are okay, but may contain high levels of mercury and other pollutants.
- Avoid All Fried Foods & Foods Cooked at High Temperatures — Hamburgers, chicken, shrimp, french fries, onion rings – anything deep fried or pan fried, barbecued, charbroiled or grilled.
- Avoid All Dairy Products — Milk, cheeses, yogurt, milk powders and other products containing cream, butter, buttermilk, including cottage cheese and low or non-fat milk products, etc.
- Avoid All Whole Eggs — Any eggs that include the yokes – includes fresh and powdered eggs and any foods containing whole eggs – egg whites are okay.
- Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup — Read the label for corn syrup, fructose or HFCS – includes most soft drinks and sodas, candies and snacks sweetened with Corn Syrup, including many health food meal replacement bars and so-called diet drinks – any product containing fructose, except for Agave Nectar Syrup.
- Avoid Sugars and Sweets — Honey, table sugar sucrose, dextrose, molasses, all syrups and other sweeteners – avoid all artificial sweeteners and foods with them, containing aspartame, saccharin or sucralose – substitute preferred Agave Nectar Syrup or Stevia liquid or powders.
- Avoid Simple Carbohydrates — Potatoes, any kind of rice, all corn, tapioca and other puddings, all breads, most cereal grains, pastries, pies, cakes, all pastas such as macaroni, spaghetti, noodles, crackers, tortillas and dip-chips, etc. For a 52-page list that compares the “official” relative impact of different foods on your system, download the free International Table of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values, 2002 PDF Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Avoid Addictive Foods & Products — No tobacco products including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, snuff, chewing tobacco, no alcohol drinks and products – including beer, wine and whisky or liquors, and of course no other recreational drugs, legal or not.
The 8 Foods to Eat
- Enjoy Fresh Wild Fish — Includes wild Alaskan salmon, mackerel, herring, cod, trout, catfish, sardines, and especially any of the fatty or oily kinds – choose fresh or frozen, not canned and never farm-raised. Buy fish that have been tested to have low levels of mercury and other pollutants if possible.
- Enjoy Fresh Raw or Steamed Vegetables — The more colorful are best, especially leaves, sprouts, shoots, stalks and stems, flowers and seeds, lightly steamed or fresh raw vegetables are preferred, frozen is okay if they have not been processed with additives – no sugars, salt, cheese or preservatives or sauces – minimize starchy or sweet root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, turnips and beets.
- Enjoy Whole Fresh Fruits — No juices – the more colorful the better, including all berries, apples, pears, melons, citrus oranges, grapefruits, kiwi and similar mildly sweet fruits – minimize very sweet fruits like grapes, pineapple, figs, etc. Eat the entire fruit if possible, including the skin and usually the seeds – wash well before eating. Fruit skins and seeds are packed with vital vitamins, phyto-nutrients and powerful anti-oxidants that are not common inside the sweeter, starchy insides.
- Enjoy Lean, Non-Grain-Fed Meats — Wild or free range turkey, chicken, pheasant, quail, cornish hens, bison or buffalo, elk, venison, grass-fed beef and lamb – serve skinless and well trimmed of fat.
- Enjoy Nuts and Seeds — Flax seeds, almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pecans, pine nuts, hazelnuts, brazil-nuts, peanuts – except macadamia nuts – most fresh or dried nuts and seeds, without salt or added oils – if roasting, bake at lower temperatures for shorter periods.
- Enjoy Herbs and Most Spices, Except Salt — Ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, clove, anise, basil, oregano, rosemary, black and white peppers, nutmeg, paprika, red pepper, chile pepper, garlic, onion flakes – the list seems endless, but in general the more colorful, and the hotter or more spicy the flavors, the better they are for your health. Many spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and oregano have proven to be medicinal in their effects and are often prescribed by natural physicians.)
- Enjoy Beans, Peas and Legumes — These high protein and high fiber foods are satisfying and healthy – including most beans and legumes – lentils, pinto and kidney beans, Garbanzo or chickpeas, green peas, green beans, chinese pea pods, sweet English peas, black eyed peas, lima beans, navy beans, and many other kinds of nutritious and delicious, healthy foods – note that rice or corn are grains, which are not on this list – also hominy is a corn product and not a bean or pea.
- Enjoy Green and Brown Teas and Many Herbal Drinks — Green tea should be taken several times a day by most people, since its health benefits seem endless – brown tea appears safe and reasonably helpful for many people, as do many herbal drinks such as camomile, spices like ginger, or herbal stimulants such as ginseng – use the caffeine-free types if possible, especially if you have heart disease or high blood pressure
The 6 Vitally Important Supplements
- Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil: How Much? — Research supports taking about 2-1/2 grams (2,500mg) of total EPA and DHA every day. To calculate how may capsules that takes, simply add the mg of EPA to the DHA shown on the label of your fish oil bottle, per capsule. Inexpensive fish oils like the Natrol or Nature’s Way brands usually contain about 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA, totaling 300mg. You would need about 9 of those capsules to get at least 2,500mg daily of total EPA/DHA. Higher quality fish oils like Dr Sears’ or Carlson Labs’ brands may require only 4 or 5 capsules per day, but they are more expensive. Read the label of the fish oil you buy to see how many to take.
- GLA Gamma Linolenic Acid (from Borage Oil), with Sesame Seed Lignans — The main active ingredient is GLA or Gamma Linolenic Acid. This is an Omega-6 oil that acts like an Omega-3 oil in many beneficial ways. In perfectly healthy people, the body converts some Omega-6 oils into GLA using the D6D enzyme discussed above under Fish Oil, then into DGLA and from there into PGE1 series-1 prostaglandins. Like the PGE3’s from EPA in Fish Oil, these new PGE1’s fight inflammation in your body. So, we want lots of PGE1, which means we need to get D6D to work for us, or we need to take GLA Borage Oil, which already has GLA without needing D6D. The plants will make our GLA for us if we take Borage Oil or another source of GLA. Like with Fish Oil above, if we take the needed nutrient we want, we don’t have to worry so much about D6D delta-6 desaturase not working for us. GLA also requires a few more nutrients to be converted into PGE1, but those are more common in most people. We won’t worry about them here. Sources: The best sources of GLA are Borage Oil, Black Currant Oil and Evening Primrose Oil. Borage Oil contains just a bit more GLA than does Black Currant Oil, and almost 2-1/2 times as much GLA as Evening Primrose Oil. How Much to Take? Take at least 2 large 1,200mg capsules of Borage Oil per day, one in the morning and evening. Ensure that each capsule contains at least 245mg of the GLA active ingredient. A small amount of Vitamin-E should also be listed on the label to prevent possible oxidation of the vital fatty acid ingredients during storage. Very sick, obese or people with high levels of C-Reactive Protein should consider taking up to double the regular daily dose of GLA.
- Green Tea Drinks, and Green Tea Extracts – Green teas contain extremely powerful phyto-nutrients that have been profoundly researched around the world for many years. This herb may be the most important single herbal supplement that you can add to your daily regimen. Green tea moderates blood glucose, and improves blood lipids and cholesterol significantly. Green tea suppresses inflammatory cytokines that are active in stimulating the growth of cancerous tumors. It also enables the return to normal rates of programmed cell death or turnover, so that cancerous growths can die normally instead of out-living YOU. Green tea is very helpful in reducing the growth of inflammation of the heart and circulatory system, so that the building of arterial plaques slow down. It is helpful in prevention of thrombosis, renal failure, influenza management, cirrhosis management, and in the detoxification of the liver after exposure to chemicals or radiation. Green tea should be taken throughout the day for maximum protective benefit. How Much per Day? Consider drinking 6 to 8 cups of fresh green tea. Use caffeine free types if you have heart disease or high blood pressure. If you want even more Green Tea benefits, you may wish to add 2 or 3 more concentrated and standardized Green Tea Extract capsules in your morning and evening supplementation program.
- Magnesium — Magnesium has been shown to be deficient in up to 80% of modern Americans. This deficiency is associated with many inflammatory and insulin resistant conditions and major diseases. They include diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, migraine and cluster headaches, and many more. Magnesium is especially important for glucose metabolism. If you are already deficient in magnesium and go on a calorie restricted diet, you are very likely to become extremely deficient in magnesium, which can make your insulin resistance much worse, which will increase your glucose and average insulin levels throughout the day. This will make it very, very difficult to lose weight. Dieters are strongly recommended to consider supplementing with magnesium. How Much per Day? Suggested doses total about 300mg to 500mg in divided doses, morning and evening. Bigger people or diabetics should consider the larger dose.
- Soluble and Insoluble Fiber — Fiber is powerfully associated with reductions in total cholesterol, since it is the only was your body has of disposing of cholesterol once it has been created. One of the most enjoyable ways to eat more fiber is to eat 2 apples or pears per day. They combine fiber with many other nutrients and taste great! Other good types of fiber to supplement include: Flax Seed Meal, Rice Bran, Orange Pulp and Peel, Grapefruit Pectin, Lemon Peel, Milk Thistle, Psylium Seed, Acacia, Oat Bran, Wheat Bran, and other seed and bran type fibers. How Much per Day? Research supports increasing your total intake of fiber to between 25 and 30 grams per day from all sources. You should take your fiber with the highest fatty meal of the day, but not with fish oil, borage oil GLA, or CLA (see below). You should take those supplements at least an hour before taking fiber.
- CLA – Conjugated Linoleic Acid with Guarana and Sesame Seed Lignans — When taken properly without other foods, CLA has been found to block the addition of new fats into existing adipose cells. Recent research has shown that people who took supplements of CLA were able to decrease the total fat or adipose tissue mass significantly (size of cells). However, when these people also supplemented with Guarana at the same time, the total number of fat cells actually decreased by up to 50%. This is an amazing result, and well worthy of your investment in adding a few extra pills to your daily regimen. How Much to Take per Day? Studied results were achieved with only 4-5 grams or capsules of the CLA with Guarana per day. Sesame Seed Lignans have been shown to help prevent the oxidation of CLA, whereas they simultaneously encourage oxidation or burning of fats in the liver. Sesame Lignans further enhance the effect of taking CLA and Guarana.
NOTE: It is essential that CLA should be taken at mid-morning, on an empty stomach. If taken when there is food in the stomach, your digestive enzymes may break down the CLA into its basic parts before it can reach the intestines where it does its work. Look for a product with all 3 ingredients, or buy them separately and take them at the same time.